Saturday, January 15, 2011

This old shed

Through all the Summer suns
And many a winter's chill,
Snow and rain and balmy wind,
This old shed stands there still.

I have been thinking about when this tool shed was built about sixty years ago.  Dad hired a carpenter to help and oversee the construction.  Wayne had just returned from his tour of duty in Japan a short time before so he and I would play a large role in the construction.  Floyd and dad would help some but mostly it would be the carpenter, Virge Waldroup, Wayne and me.  I remember one day after we had framed up the first story and we were nailing the second plate to the top of it.  I had acomplished the art of driving nails having done so from the age of a toddler by driving nails in a crack in the floor which mom premitted to keep me busy.  With Wayne it was much harder.  The disableing disease, Fredreich's Ataxia, had already begun to effect his coordination and driving the #20 nails with a claw hammer was difficult.  I can see him now, straddling the wall and struggling to pound the nails into the hard oak.  Bending and straightening nails all morning long, I could feel his frustration.  After lunch when we met back at the building site Wayne had secured the shop hammer from the black smith shop.  It had a much larger head and it made it easer to sink the large nails.  I will never forget his determination to do his part even in the face of difficulty.

The shed was completed and we used it for tool and machinery storage for the years to come.  I have more to say about this weathered old building.  Come back again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this story Uncle Warren! You're right, Daddy had a determination to 'stand' on his own as far back as I can remember. He never wanted to have to depend on anyone including the government. That's why he NEVER applied for state help or for VA benefits from his time in the Army, not until forced to after our mother died and he had to go into a nursing home. I remember many hours after the disease had taken its toll on his body when all he could do was sit and look out the window. He taught us kids many, many things over the years. He could think about a building plan for a few minutes and then tell you what materials you would need, what size to cut and how much it would cost to buy the supplies! My dad may not have been the typical father but he had a sharp mind and that determination is exactly what kept him alive for his 76 years! I really miss him sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definately say that the strong determination runs strong in our family. It's striving to succeed in all we do ! Thanks so much for sharing this story, Uncle. I hope to see more, soon!

    ReplyDelete