We never called this structure a building. It was always the tool building or "tool shed," but in reality it was much more. Before this building was constructed there was no place on the farm to store expensive farm equiptment, which left it exposed to the weather. Once completed it housed a tractor, corn planter, corn picker, hay bayler, combine, grain drill and other tools. A room for fertlizer and seeds and in the upper level, harvested grain and feed. It was a vaulable addition to eight other out-buildings scattered about but in view of the farm house.
I have thought about the important function of the tool shed for the last several days. Dad loved and always wanted good equipment and wanted to keep it in the best of condition to extend its life and usefulness. It was his general belief that we were entrusted and blessed with certain assets and these should be cared for and used properly. He was not pleased if any of us did not put equipment back into it's place after use. When as I reflect on those days so many years ago, I know now and I knew then that Dad was not only being a steward of the things entrusted to him but he was teaching me a "life lesson." God has given each of us days, months and years, friends and family, talents and treasure and a call on our lives. Are you taking care of these gifts. Are you using them to enrich the lives of others and by so doing your own life as well?
Although weather beaten and standing like a ghost of the past, this "old shed," taught me a life lesson which I shall never forget.
Beautiful, Warren! Thanks for sharing with me!!
ReplyDeleteKeep it up!!
"Cousin" Lou