Monday, January 24, 2011

Shep Masters the Ladder for His Master


Originally there was a 12-foot ladder leading up to a small platform and a door in the gable end of this building that provided access to the upper room.  Each day I would go up that ladder, into the room and get feed for the animals and back down.

I was amused that Shep my half Collie and who knows ‘half what else’ always stood at the bottom of the ladder, looking up and waiting for me to reappear through the door.  He followed me like my shadow.  Inseparable, he was my constant companion and protector.  One day I noticed that he seemed to want to follow me up the ladder.  I said, “Shep, do you want to go up the ladder?” Without saying a word he said, “yes.”  All you dog lovers know what I mean.  With his front paws on the first rung of the ladder, I helped him with his back feet.  One at a time we reached the top and when he came down it was scary but he made it without any help and without breaking anything.  The next day we tried it again and he did better and the third day he almost had it accomplished and on the forth he made the accent all by himself and had accomplished his decent with skill and safety.

In time to follow Shep was a great amusement to others and me as he followed me up the ladder.  I was proud of his accomplishment but now over sixty years later it’s not his skill in climbing a ladder that I think about but his complete devotion and willingness to follow me.  In the fields, in the woodland, by the creek and river, he was there by my side or just a step behind.  Oh, such devotion, may you and I follow our Lord so willingly and with complete trust.  Like Shep, even willing to learn the difficult in order to follow more closely.

1 comment:

  1. Love it Uncle Warren!!! you really should write a book! :)

    ReplyDelete